Over the last year or so I have been dipping my toes more and more into the on-line world and experiencing first-hand the Web 2.0 phenomenon. I thought it was time I formally started to report my experiences and reflect on how I am using Web 2.0 technologies. So this is part 1 in a planned series of essays on living life online. Hopefully there’ll be something that others, particularly colleagues at Swansea University, will be able to pick up. I’ll tag these articles mylifeonline for ease of reference.
My Window on the world
He didn’t curl his lip because it had been curled when he came in.– Raymond Chandler *The High Window.*
My browser of choice is Firefox which I launch at the start of my working day (I really need to add it to my Windows start up). On launch it comes up with several tabs already pre-loaded as shown in here (click on the image to see the screen shot at full resolution).
Left to right the tabs hold:
– My [TiddlyWiki](http://www.tiddlywiki.com/) which holds my notes, to do list etc. I’ll blog more about that another time.
– My [iGoogle](http://www.google.co.uk/ig) portal that provides quick access to my [Google Mail](http://mail.google.com/) mail and [Google Reader](http://www.google.co.uk/reader) which is my [RSS feed](http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RSS) [aggregator](http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aggregators) of choice (of which more later).
– [My Blog](http://crispyj2.blogspot.com/) (which you’re reading).
– My [Unofficial University Homepage ](http://eehope.swan.ac.uk/~eechris)(a [DokuWiki](http://www.splitbrain.org/projects/dokuwiki) wiki).
– The[LiterateProgramming.org](http://en.literateprograms.org/LiteratePrograms:Welcome) site (a [MediaWiki](http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/MediaWiki)wiki) to which I contribute articles.
– and [Wikipedia](http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page).
[!(http://1.bp.blogspot.com/__bnNGgqRugY/RnGIclJzR-I/AAAAAAAAAhU/JRik9BOU_X8/s200/del.icio.us.png)%5D(http://1.bp.blogspot.com/__bnNGgqRugY/RnGIclJzR-I/AAAAAAAAAhU/JRik9BOU_X8/s1600-h/del.icio.us.png)You can also see that I have the Firefox[del.icio.us](http://del.icio.us/) [extension](http://del.icio.us/help/firefox/extension) installed. It’s an important part of my work flow which I’ll be describing in a later article. In the [next article](http://crispyj2.blogspot.com/2007/06/day-in-20-life-part-2.html), I’ll describe how I use my RSS feed reader.